A couple of weeks ago, Brad and I had the opportunity to finally try Dominican food! We were so excited to see what Taylor has been eating for the last year and a half. We tried oxtail, pork and moro (mixed rice and beans) and we also had tostones and maduros (fried green and fried ripe plantains). I was really nervous to try the oxtail, but it just tasted kind of like pot roast. We both liked the tostones but didn't like the maduros much. Taylor said that he has never even seen oxtail??? and was surprised that we didn't like the maduros cuz he likes it a lot. He said that the tostones are served almost like french fries with every meal. It was so fun to try some new stuff!
Oxtail and Moro
Tostones and Maduros
While I am posting about food, I might as well include our experience with crickets! Brad and I teach the 16 year old Sunday School class and we are teaching the New Testament this year. We had a lesson that talked a lot about John the Baptist and so Brad got the clever idea to order some flavored crickets for those brave enough to try! Unfortunately, we both got the flu (the worst I have ever had in my life) and had to get a substitute, so we weren't able to watch the kids do it. Well, we had some extra boxes left over and Ryan had been begging for a month to try them. In the meantime, I had sent a box over in Taylor's Valentine box for he and his companion to try. Anyway, I finally let Ryan try them. I think they were sour cream and onion?! He wasn't scared at all and ate two of them. They browbeat me into trying one and I thought I was gonna die. I'm not the kind of girl who will necessarily try anything. Needless to say, I was having cow and I look like such a dork in the picture! At least I can say I did it now!


No comments:
Post a Comment